Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Week 3-Thing #7

Anything technology related?

Home servers.

I am interested in creating my own home server for a number of reasons. One obvious one: digital data is now akin to real estate. The more storage space you own, the more little digital cows you can farm. Now that we easily exceed terabytes, it is possible to store libraries full of information. At some point it gets a little ridiculous, as there is only so much information that we can consume in a lifetime, but it is a question of easy access. Additionally, now I don't need walls of tiny shelves to hold music and movies.

Some of us are teaching survivalists. We see the coming of the end of civilization as we know it and we are preparing ourselves. When we get even less money, and when the district technology allotment and the progams we are asked to use don't align to our philosophy, having a digital 'storehouse' might be a good idea. I know some teachers who don't store anything on district servers, as back-up failures have occurred and there is proprietary content in some lessons (not mine, mind you, I steal them from everywhere).

Another reason is, I believe that a home server will assist my teaching. It seems that digital systems are in constant flux, whereas, district technology is somewhat more static. I think with a home server, I would be able to create a website that could be used as a platform for my teaching. I could use it to host a moodle site. I could store all my teaching files so that I could have access anywhere. I suppose I've always dreamed of having my own smooth website as a resource for students. I'd like to buy a bunch of really cheap macs off of craigslist to accompany the four really cheap macs that the district has given me. If I could get even one computer for every two students I think I could really make something cool happen in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is an ongoing problem that education is monolithic and takes a long time to move. We are actually quite lucky in our district. I have been to conferences where I have talked to teachers and administrators about their technology plans, professional development etc and I realize that however far we have to go, we are so lucky here.

    So, here is one suggestion. Team up with your librarian and do a couple of really cool tech integration projects, then leverage those into getting more computers. It is a truism that those who have already shown that they are ready to do with what they have, to figure out a way to do it, are the ones most likely to get more equipment... I know that Suzanne would be willing to help you with this.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete