Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Week 9-#23

I thoroughly enjoyed this (crash) course. I know I have been focusing on this class over the last few days, but I don't think I would have gotten more out of it had I spaced it out more; I would have simply spaced out more. For me, this was the perfect pace. And, I think it was the perfect amount. I have read other posts from people who wished it was longer, or had more credits involved. IMHO, cut to the credits and make a sequel. I just think that would go against some of the web 2.0 philosophy with smaller steps and mash-ups as opposed to larger eventual products, which we would need if we were going to pull 2-3 credits out of a course like this. I can honestly say that I put in the hours required to earn a graduate credit, but it would be difficult to put in three times as much effort and be successful in a project like this.
When I finally locked onto the step by step nature of the course I really appreciated it. Much like our students, we like it when it is laid out for us in a manner in which we feel we can be successful. Now you could have 23 things just for podcasting. And after the course was over teachers would have a number of lessons and lectures posted online for their students. Or 23 ways to annoy your students with music on teachertube (I am talking about myself, not about the teacher I linked, but students might be annoyed by the fact that she calls singing rap). We could take anyone of these tools more in depth in their own right.
The neat thing about technology, is that these tools will be worn-out before my career is over, perhaps before the next decade is over. There is a bit of hubris in the thinking that we know how it is going to be. The great part is watching technology change, and then watching all of us change as well.
As far as implementation, I am still stuck on the idea of a home server. That aside, I really want to make an irony wiki for my students. Irony, in its many forms, can be an elusive concept for students. I think after working with a few classes, we will have built something that students will find very useful, not to mention how useful it will be to the students who help build it, and on and on. Click the link on my link list to take you to the irony wiki.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric

    Thanks for the thoughtful feedback on the class. I appreciate it as we decide how to move forward with this course. I like the Irony Wiki idea. A great example of constructivist learning. :-)

    Enjoy the summer

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your sequel idea. I also think it would be a great way to review.
    23 things about podcasts. FAQ's and things you don't think of until
    you are in a classroom implementing them. Also ideas and how to implement information literacy skills.

    Janet M

    ReplyDelete