Sunday, April 12, 2009

Week 6-#14

I noticed that performing different searches yielded different results.  I got more hits searching the blogs than the tags, which seems natural.  This emphasizes the need to know how to search properly.  Anymore, it's not just knowing what you are looking for, it's knowing how to search for it that is the question.
I think tagging will be more useful the more that students use them.  As it progresses, i think it will be like using an index is now.  Some students use it almost on instinct.  Others think an index is a finger (no, kids, not that finger).  To be useful, I would have to incorporate activities to teach the students that don't use them, (can you say treasure hunt).  I would have to create a classroom community that used them often, so often that not using them would seem unnatural.  
I certainly think there are topical possibilities (the election), and a virtually inexhaustible resource of op-ed pieces.  But what about my content?  With blogs being opened up daily, shouldn't some one have (I still can't cut and paste . . .) literary criticism for kids?  In quotes, it yields nothing.  There certainly are applications for my content area.  However, there aren't applications for all aspects of my content area.
"well, why don't YOU start the literary criticism for kids blog?"
Hey, I just barely got my taxes done--three cheers for turbo tax, tech and the internet!

1 comment: