Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Week 9-#21

Ahh, podcasts. A few years ago the district was awash in training on podcasting. After the initial honeymoon, they seemed to fade. Perhaps with the onset of video sharing sites, they became a little less brilliant. I haven't used podcasting, even after my training. But I think I will, even as early as this year. I'll talk about some of the site hunting I did, and then I will talk about just a few applications that I will have in my classroom.
Was it just me, or did these come in two types, non-functional or commercial. I am just going to double check so that I don't make a fool of myself. Podcast.net didn't open up. Podcast alley worked. I was able to find Huckleberry Finn last night. EPN works, but only has 59 podcasts at the high school level (I know, 'well, get busy, high school teacher'). Teacher content was a $$$ site and techsavygirlz has an error when you go to archive. So I am going to suggest and view my own that I have been using for a few years, and that is functional and non-commercial: Libravox! I am sure creative commons references them. For me they are great. If it is in the public domain, I know I can use it. It sounds like Litoutloud is doing something similar, but for some reason Libravox sounds a little more grassroots. Having audio of the readings is useful, and sometimes essential, as I have had students with IEP's that require it. I love the concept. Volunteers working to create an online audio library for everyone.
They only use . . . I just looked at thing #22, and guess what is there . . .

2 comments:

  1. Check the i-Tunes Store under Podcasts.....there are thousands of free ones....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always curious how high school uses technology. As a elementary librarian, without an aide, adding a podcast would be beneficial but some piece of my work would have to be sacrificed. Some of the intermediate students have wonderful voices. They would be great to use in podcasts. Once they learn, they could teach others.

    ReplyDelete