Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Computadoras para toda la gente, or Ch. 8

My original certification is in English as a Second Language, so when scanning for another chapter to read, I choose chapter 8. I agree that there are many benefits to using digital curriculum, not only for students designated Limited English Proficient, but also those with diagnosed disabilities. For both, there can be a support structure set up so that they can excel. However, there is an elephant in the room that nobody notices until p. 165 when they start address in the concept of equity.
I agree that the digital curriculum presents more social flexibility and can be tailored to the individual. I agree with the importance of authentic assessment to improve learning across the board. I like the way that portfolios have changed their focus over the last few years (though, they were always thought of as constructivist. I imagine an old constructivist model is a positivist). I like that provided WiFi for lawndale, a low income neighborhood. Soon, we will have to consider the next step.
One to one schooling. A government mandate, that all students will have the technology they need to succeed. If you really want to compete on a global scale, prepare our children to do so. It isn't good enough that most already have the technology. Every school needs to provide a laptop for every student. Financially, we aren't far off. It doesn't need bells, it doesn't need whistles. Just like the school had the art supplies, but every student had a pencil, so to would the one to one student laptop. To equip my school, at $100, and we haven't quite reached that technological capability, we would need $200,000. That sounds like a lot, but when you consider that my department just asked for $50,000 to fill the book room for 11th grade English only, we could even save money. I recently heard of a laptop that cost $200. We are not far off.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the Net Books trial that is going on in each HS. Some really exciting ways to harness an inexpensive (relative to the laptop) piece of equipment that gives all students access.... At about 300 per machine.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete