Friday, March 27, 2009

Week 3-Thing #6 Ultimate Nerddom!

Hoo boy, I have to sit back and take a breath. Behold, the epitome of nerdiness! Let me start from the beginning and tell you how this beautiful thing came to be.
Way back in Jr. High School, a remote and distant concept not totally unlike middle school, in the 80's, a remote and distant decade, there was a game called Blood Bowl. Blood Bowl is what you call a table top strategy game, meaning you would move miniatures on a board and roll dice against percentages. The genre of Blood Bowl was fantasy, with Ogres, Elves, Halflings, etc. The game play was like American Football (and I use this term because it was made in GB by Games Workshop).
Many years past and Blood Bowl was a long forgotten relic in our parents basement, until . . . at the dawn of the year 2009, my brother sought to make a Java version of the game, only to find out, that someone already had. A new era of Blood Bowling had arrived. Even more so, it is going to come out on the 360 this summer, so a whole new generation of nerdlings can enjoy themselves.
Why does this represent the epitome of Nerddom? Let's recap: This is a simulation of football, a game most Bloodbowlers don't have the physical gifts to play. It is a game played with painted miniatures, and with dice, so there are two very nerdy elements right there-minatures and math. What's more it has been turned into a Java game, which has a very large following, and is it's very own online community, nerdy and nerdy. On that system, play an English teacher, check, and a Biochemist, check, one of which made a mock trading card for the other's beloved Troll, checkmate!
But I love my brother, and I love being a nerd.

As a classroom application, I would probably have students make their own card. I have them make cards for the year for seat assignments and for (in)volunteers. It could be an early on assignment, and once they have made them we could switch cards for introductions, and then laminate them for durability.

3 comments:

  1. Fun card and great idea for its use! Did you print your card out?

    The game sounds something like Dungeons and Dragons. My husband and friends have played for years and now my sons have joined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Huge Labs has a lot of mashups that can be used in classroom settings. I want to have kids make trading cards for books they like that could then be left in the books for others to find as they browse :-) Now that's nerdy
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your card. You must have had a great time making it.

    ReplyDelete